Roles of textile engineer is very significant for any apparel industry. Besides he or she is a key person in the Apparel Industry. A Textile Engineer in Apparel Industry, has to take care every task in the factory-like buying the raw material which is required to finish the apparel product, making the apparel, finishing the apparels, documentation, and shipping also. Textile engineers are the responsible for ensuring every quality of fabrics, yarns, and apparel produced in the apparel industry.
Department of an Apparel factory:
- Production Department
- Quality control (QC) Department
- Human resource (HR) Department
- Planning Department
- Merchandising Department
- Maintenance Department
- Finance and account Department
- Utility Department
- Administration Department
- Security Department
Designation for textile engineer in industry:
Textile engineer works in an Apparel Factory at different section as a following designation:
- Production /Quality control officer
- Senior production officer
- Assistant production manager
- Production manager (PM)
- Deputy general manager (DGM)
- General manager (GM)
- Executive director (ED)
- CEO (Chief Executive Officer)/COO (Chief Operating Officer)
- Managing director (MD)
Roles of Textile Engineer in Apparel Industry:
1. Planning: Textile engineer needs to plan all told section for the graceful flow of production line. Textile Engineer needs to distribute the work of the worker for balancing the work.
2. Control: Textile Engineer needs to control the production and the people according to the plan to get optimum efficiency.
3. Organization: Textile Engineer needs to watch over the manufacturing process and introduces required system it needed for quality production.
4. Re-viewing: He has to review the all activities of shift in charge and supervise every day/week/month according to production manager order.
5. Administration: Textile engineer has to plan in all section for the smooth flow of production. He needs to distribute the work of the worker for balancing the work. He checks daily/weekly/monthly reports.
6. Leadership: A Textile engineer makes the worker to give their best by inspiring and motivating. He always commits himself to the company and faster that same kind of commitment in his flowers. He knows their strength, weakness, hope and goal. A textile engineer can make better productivity level by his Leadership.
You may also like: Career Development in Apparel Merchandising
7. Management Contact: Textile Engineer needs consultation with production manager in matter of production planning and work distribution of individuals. It is also his duty to consult with quality assurance manager just in case of quality falls further as production quality for individual buyer.
8. Maintenance schedule: Textile Engineer needs to check and maintain proper maintenance schedule for every machine to remain continue the production.
9. Inventory Control: Textile Engineers plays an important role to control appropriate and necessary spare parts and raw material to smooth run the apparel industry.
10. Marketing Policy: In a marketing and sales role as merchandiser, he is responsible for coming up with marketing strategies to ensure sale of products.
11. Product Development: Textile sector demands the creative peoples. Most of the textile engineers works on product research and development, and improving current textile-based products or creating new products
12. Product Improvement: As a process improvement, textile engineer’s job is to come up innovative ideas and techniques to improve the process, production and quality of yarns and fabrics produced in the plant.
13. Sourcing: To save costs and be ahead of competition, it has become important to source the product at the least price while maintaining the quality standard as required by the buyer.
14. Fashion Design: In Today’s competitive fashion world fashion design is a very important element for apparel marketing. Designers and merchandisers give careful consideration to these fundamentals for even the most basic apparels.
15. Merchandising: Apparel merchandiser has to handle some buyers smartly to consider all of the features of a product, including design, quality, product life-cycle, consumer’s buying ability, consumer behavior and demand during his preparation.
16. Marketing policy: This is very important section for all industry. Textile engineers should play right step to familiar and promote its apparel product to buyer.
17. Market Analysis: Effective market analysis by textile engineer can help in getting valuable insights about the economy, competitors, ongoing market trends, demographics. Market analysis is one of the vital components to help apparel business with all the essential information and making the wise business decisions.
You may also like: How to Be a Good Merchandiser in Garments
18. Energy supply: Energy is very important thing for all kinds of industry. It should be confirmed by engineer to supply sufficient energy to run the industry.
19. Environmental conscious: To reduce the effect global warming, a textile engineer can contribute to minimize the pollution from the factory. A textile engineer can convince the company to make about environmental issues and helps to maintain Green Factory.
Roles of textile engineer are very important in the apparel sector. For the betterment of achieving productivity, quality consciousness on the product output, employees, operators and also textile engineer to be more trained well to achieve targeted efficiency and growth of the industry at most satisfied level.
Author of this Article:
Md. Mahedi Hasan
B.Sc. in Textile Engineering
Textile Engineering College, Noakhali.