Generally we use our clothes many times. But in case of favorite clothes, we spend so much time from other clothes. During wearing a dress different types of stain can contact with cloth. You never see stains coming, but they seem to have you targeted! But for saving money and helping environment we have to wear same cloth again and again. So we have to remove spots or stain from cloth. There are various tips & tricks you can use to remove spots & save your clothes. But first, I will give a chart of chemicals and ingredients those help to remove spots from clothes.
The list of various ingredients to remove spots from clothes or fabrics of silk, wool, cotton and linen are given in below table:
|Spot Name||Silk||Wool||Cotton and Linen|
|Grease, oil and wax||Benzene, Benzol, Petrol, Tarpentine, Chloroform or Carbon tetra chloride||Same as silk||Same as silk|
|Enamel||Amil acid with Acetone||do||do|
|Pitch and Tar||Benzene, Benzol or Ether||do||do|
|Sealing Wax||Methylated Spirit||do||do|
|Marking Ink||Pottasium Ferocyanide solution||do||do|
|Acid stain (except nitric acid)||1 tea spoon Aqua ammonia in 2 pints of hot soap water, 8 tea spoons Acetic acid in each pint of cold water|
|Tea, coffee and wine||First, Pottasium permanganet solution in white silk, then Sulphuric acid solution. Hydrogen peroxide in colored silk. If the color is not fast, methylated spirit and soap.||do||Soap and Ammonia mixed water or bleaching solution|
|Iron||Oxalic acid, Sodium hydrosulphide, cream of tarter or citric acid solution (not for colored fabrics)||Same as silk||Oxalic acid, tetanus chloride or sodium hydrosulphide solution (for white fabric).|
|Copying Ink||Methylated spirit and ammonia||do||Same as silk. For white goods, caustic soda solution.|
|Writing Ink||Oxalic acid solution||do||First, Acitic acid solution, then oxalic acid solution.|
|Grass stain||Ether or soap and methylated spirit||do||Same as silk|
|Mud, shoe polish, printing ink||Wetting in water and washing with water and then oxalic acid||do||do|
|Direct and basic color||Methylated spirit and Ammonia or Hydrogen peroxide||do||White fabric-tetanus chloride solution (hot). Colored fabric-tetanus chloride solution (cold).|
|The Ink of dish or iron pan||Petrol||Same as silk||Same as silk|
|Blood||Methylated spirit, hydrogen peroxide with neutral soap||do||Sodium hypochloride|
|Sugar and glue||Water||do||Same as silk|
|Food stuffs||Methylated spirit|
|Mildew||Soap and lemon|
|Iodine||Eucalyptus oil and hot water|
Different Types of Stain and Way to Remove Spots from Clothes:
1. Catechu Stain: In order to remove the catechu stain from cotton and linen, boiling with caustic soda, first, they are treated to a solution of potassium iodide and sulphuric acid and then treated in the solution of bleaching powder and sulphuric acid.
2. Writing Ink Stain: Fresh ink stain can be removed by raw milk. By boiling milk sponge out on the stain for sometimes and then it is washed by hot water. Or spreading some salt on the stain and then rubbing with linen for sometimes and then it is washed in cold water and dried in the sun.
3. Red Ink Stain: Mixturing the full contents of an egg and then adding 2 drops of sulphuric acid with it, it is to be applied on the stain for a few times and then it is to be washed in clean water, the stain will be removed.
4. Printing Ink Stain: Five minutes after applying of turpentine, if petrol is applied, then the stain will be removed.
5. Iodine Stain: The portion of the stain need to be wet with water and then rubbing it with soda, and finally need to wash with water. Or, need to sinking in the ammonia mixed water and washing in clean water just after the removal of the stain.
6. Iron Stain: Need to apply the paste made of lemon and salt on the stain, and to wait for half an hour. Then after washing it need to be hung in the sun without wring out (squeeze out).
7. Lamp Black Stain: Stain will be removed following the process of: wetting in kerosin oil and then rubbing with dry fabric and finally soap washing.
8. Mildew: Stain will be removed following the process of: spreading salt and rubbing with lemon and then finally soap washing.
9. Motor Oil or Tar Stain: Need to keep one night after applying olive oil. The stain will be removed by soap washing the day after.
10. Perspiration Stain: By doing sponge out by vinegar or caustic soda and then washing, the stain will be removed. In case of white fabric, need to wash in borax water.
11. Rust and Ink Stain:
- Ammonia sulphate – 5%, water – 95%, total = 100%
- Oxalic acid – 5%, water – 95%, total = 100%
First, the fabric need to be treated in a. Solution, then washing and squeezing and second, need to be treated in b. Solution and washing and then squeezing. Need to be repeated a number of times if required.